Complexions Contemporary Ballet’s Tampa appearance also will serve as a homecoming for one of the company’s dancers, Tatiana Melendez. Melendez is a genuine sensation in the dance world. She was racking up dance competition awards for both contemporary and ballet before she entered her teens. She’s in her third season with the company, and its mix of methods, styles and cultures is ideal for a dancer always seeking new challenges. Complexions Contemporary Ballet will perform March 31 at the Straz Center’s Ferguson Hall.
Here are five fun facts about Tatiana Melendez:
- A Tampa native, Melendez studied at All American Dance Factory/All American Classical Ballet in Carrollwood. One of her instructors there was Julio Montano, who is a member of the Patel Conservatory’s Dance faculty.
- At 15, she was awarded a scholarship to the prestigious Houston Ballet Academy’s Professional Division.
- At 20, Melendez was on the cover of Pointe magazine, a leading ballet and dance periodical. The issue was the final print edition of the magazine.
- Melendez, who is 5’1”, was once told at a ballet competition that she was “not built for dance.” She said in the Pointe article that her height has caused companies to pass on her, despite her brilliant technique.
- Melendez has been a guest performer with Italy’s Roma City Ballet. She also performed at the 2021 Kennedy Center Honors.